Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hothouse pūhā

I’ve noticed that pūhā loves to grow in our ramshackle little hothouse.

Last year, a single huge, lush pūhā plant grew in there. It reached about a metre and a half tall – as big as any I’d seen – then kept on growing until its stalk collapsed under its own weight.

This year dozens of little pūhā plants have popped up. They seem healthy and vigorous.



The last owners built the hothouse for grapes and tomatoes. But it looks like pūhā makes a great hothouse plant too, so I’m just going to go with it. I like the idea that a wild weed garden can extend into a hothouse.

2 comments:

  1. nice blog.. why haven't you posted anything after this post...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johanna. I've stumbled across your blog while googling for folks who have experience in urban foraging or run courses in the Wellington area. It seems you have some knowledge in this area and i was wondering if you would consider doing a little bit of teaching. possibly a walk around locations in wellington where you can identify edible plants. I'm just a university student in my 20's interested in learning about the edible plants of NZ. I currently have basically zero knowledge in this area so any knowledge is really valuable to me. I'm happy to pay for your knowledge if you're keen :) Cheers. Geoff White
    gffry_wht@yahoo.co.nz
    0211339960

    ReplyDelete